[Informatics] RDBMS Choices

Andrew Pate arp at mentonegrammar.net
Thu Nov 3 15:22:31 AEDT 2016

Hi all,
I have looked at past messages but am still unsure what those of you who decided to NOT use MS ACCESS for this choice went with.

I have tried

·        Access (easiest but I have a BYOD policy and lots of Macs in the classroom)

·        Filemaker (noted limitations on this list plus COST)

·        OpenOffice Base – tried it 3-4 years ago not lots of documentation and buggy

·        MySQL using phpMyAdmin. I also use PHP as my programming language in Unit 1/2 and SofDev but this is a steep learning curve next year as most of my students will not have done 1/2  OR SofDev

Any other thoughts?

Thanks as always this list is invaluable.
Andrew Pate
Mentone Grammar.