[Informatics] Gantt Charts

Garth, Lucas A garth.lucas.a at edumail.vic.gov.au
Mon May 2 10:49:54 AEST 2016

Hi,

I’m not sure that we should be sending out exemplary Gantt charts for this assessment to anyone on this list.

Any student can access this list if they choose, and there is a key requirement for this SAT for students to be able to know the skill of task identification – in other words being able to work out for themselves what tasks are needed.

More importantly, each class is going to be different in terms of time allocation and therefore a cookie cutter approach will not work – each student needs to manage their own project (again another requirement of the SAT).

I’ve said to the students the best approach to creating the project plan is to look at the requirements (see study design and end assessment rubric) and I explained in detail what each of these assessments  meant.  I did not give out a template Gantt because it defeats the learning requirements outlined above (task  identification, personal responsibility for task management).

In other words when it says “students need to show knowledge of Project Management concepts and processes”  one way of demonstrating this is to within their Gantt chart they need to have some sort of predecessor / successor defined.  This shows that they know the concept of inter-dependent tasks.

You also need to show the knowledge of milestones by breaking down your task by key dates or by the PSM stages. Note that you as the teacher can choose your own observation dates which can (*should) then be used by your students as milestones.

Again I’m not sure that exemplary project plans are needed at this stage.  Look at the one we all gave an 8 out of 10 (or more) at the training day, and try to encourage your students to move towards this for their Plan submission.

Then after they’ve initially submitted, give basic feedback and get the students to constantly change their plan (saving a different version each time) as new information comes to light (e.g. they might need to have some sub-tasks for processes such as “gathering qualitative data through a survey”).

If they do this then they will be able to address the currently invisible assessment criterion 8 which will be a report in U4O1 to assess how good their project plan has been to track their project.  If it was bad and it needed constant adjustments, students should be able to update their plan by the end submission date of U3O2 and the process of saving on each version should enable them to comment on how their plan has been tweaked over the timeframe of the project.

Finally did my students do well at this task? In the main NO, but it led to good discussions on how they could improve and how their project plan can be of benefit into the future (and hopefully this means more lasting learning that helps in the exam / their future careers).

Hopefully the marks my students lose on the project plan creation criterion they can make back up in the evaluation.

Lucas