[Informatics] Unit 4 Audit

Darren Scott dscott at ccb.vic.edu.au
Tue Jul 12 11:45:08 AEST 2016

I was audited for Unit 3 Software Development, I assume the survey process will be similar. I'll back up what Kerrie said and add my $0.02 advice:

1.      Once the initial shock and outrage wears down, you'll realise that the process really isn't that bad if you're doing the right thing. The audit process is designed to catch out the cowboys/cowgirls who do "what they darn well please". There were some horror stories mentioned at the SAT training day that 4 or 5 audited schools weren't using the new study design -  make sure you have your study design with you and refer to it. Have your digipubs page open (http://www.digipubs.vic.edu.au/vcaa/vce-computing/vce-computing-introduction ) as well and refer to that too. Make sure you're bringing everything to what you're doing, not just copy-and-paste from the study design (so something like "my students are working on networked laptops but are expected to accommodate a viewer using a mobile phone or tablet" is better than the generic "mobile, rich client, networked, cloud" copy-pasto jobby).

2.      It's worthwhile to sit down with your VCE coordinator and go through the formal stuff with them - questions like "what do you do to back-up the students' SATs?" and "what happens if you can't authenticate their work?" might pop up and you need the official school response. They won't be able to help with the subject specific stuff (SD had a question on application architecture that the VCE coordinator didn't even want to look at, saying "knowing that geek stuff is your job") but for matters of process they're your best resource. They can also find the VCE handbook stuff you need for things like missed SACs, etc.

3.      The other factor that's unmentioned is that VCAA don't want people working in a vacuum on their own ... for us it's harder to do things like cross-marking as quite often we're the only people in a school that teaches our subject. If you have a support network (this mailing list, the training days, etc) and have bought/found some resources from accredited sources (DLTV, digipubs, vceit.com, the approved text books - make sure the stuff you use is current and matches the study design) you should be fine.

4.      Lastly, take the feedback as advice rather than judgement - the process is actually trying to help you, not condemn you. I had a couple of things in my SAT timeline that, after feedback, made sense to change (putting more time here or there, doing this first instead of that). It's the first year of the study design and VCAA aren't going to hang anyone for setting 3 weeks on this SAT part rather than 4, so take the feedback with good intentions and work it into the plan for next year (and so on).

Hope that helps,
Darren

[cid:CCBcrest60x63_21f6a3df-1929-4432-add0-6625033709f2.png]
Darren Scott
Teacher
Catholic College Bendigo

'Opening the Doors of Mercy'