[Informatics] Google + Honda = Self-driving Car

Mark mark at vceit.com
Thu Dec 22 17:17:58 AEDT 2016

A holiday challenge for you.

Step 1. Find the 1990 Schwarzenegger movie 'Total Recall' and find the
first 'Johnny Cab' scene (or some folk might prefer the easy path
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWgrvNHjKkY>) .

Optional step 2. Say, "Hang on, isn't that 'Johnny Cab' voice the doctor
out of *Star Trek* something-or-other... *Voyager*? The hologram guy. Robert
Picardo
<http://static1.comicvine.com/uploads/original/3/31274/1379872-sevendoctor02.jpg>?"
 Drag out your media. Watch 168 hours of *Star Trek Voyager. *Realise
you've used up your Christmas holidays and that term 1 of 2017 starts
tomorrow. Curse quietly.

Step 3. Smile wryly at the Schwarzeneggerific futuristic fantasy of robotic
cars from 26 years ago.

Step 4. Realise: "Hey. That's just an Uber/Google car ! Dang - I'm living
in *the future*!"

Step 5. Read this
<https://www.wired.com/2016/12/google-honda-waymo-on-self-driving-cars/>,
which says, "*HONDA AND WAYMO, Google’s newly independent self-driving car
effort, are working together to figure out how to put the tech giant’s
sensors and software into the automaker’s vehicles.*"

Think: "Hey - this self-driving car thingy is getting *seriously feasible*."

Step 6. Find the TV show, Humans <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4122068> and/or
Westworld <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0475784>.

Step 7. Think: "There's an excellent chance that in 26 years my own Mia
android
<http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-N3cMx-VewiI/VbklD8gn6hI/AAAAAAAAChg/GP_2uP7iDDk/s1600/Humans%2BChannel%2B4.jpg>
or
Dolores Abernathy
<http://www.iiim.is/wp/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/westworld.png> will be
delivered to my front door - probably in a Johnny Cab."

After all, who would have thought 26 years ago that self-driving cars were
any more likely than the invention of an anti-gravity machine or a warp
drive?

Mark

mark at vceit.com
http://vceit.com