[Informatics] Disaster plans - catering for Generation Y

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 15:02:50 AEDT 2016

I quite agree that it is inexcusable is to try and take a selfie during a
building evacuation .. but upon reflection, others may hear about it first
via social media than via a building evacuation alert system. Typically a
manager has to seek confirmation that there is a fire or smoke reports,
confirming that the fire control board has lit up "Hello, what's going on
here?" This make take around 5 to 30 seconds.

Already this is the case when earthquakes alerts. At around 100 km,
Earthquake social media posts overtake the Seismic wave of the Earthquake
event. Nicely covered in this XKCD cartoon: https://xkcd.com/723/

Sadly, a burning wish to record your vanity during an evacuation may remove
your genes from the pool ...

[image: Inline images 1]