[Informatics] Census user flow

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 08:13:59 AEST 2016

Some interesting analysis of the Census popping up online with "The
Conversation" website. I am going to wait a few weeks for the tigers to
settle down before peering in their cages. You can follow the discussions
here.
https://theconversation.com/au/technology

This one is ripe for picking. It considers a statistical problem when
testing a system using an average.

*The Conversation: Drowning by Averages*
https://theconversation.com/drowning-by-averages-did-the-abs-miscalculate-the-census-load-63752

*The Mean, Median and Mode Toads (2012) TheAnimatedClassroom YouTube 3:46*
https://www.evernote.com/l/AB9SOklQaJFPcZ47HB4OZoNgl-nl_-lyDJ0

On 11 August 2016 at 14:33, Mark <mark at vceit.com> wrote:

> At the risk of straying off-topic...
>
> We could use the census digital system infrastructure to get rid of the
> House of Reps and Senate and have daily population-wide voting on all bills
> put to the empty parliament... Just think of the savings on the costs of
> parliamentary gin and toilet cleaning in Canberra !
>
> In fact we could get rid of Canberra. Turn it into a nuclear waste
> repository.
> Use IBM's Watson as a substitute Prime Minister.
>
> It's all good !
>
> [One hundred years from now, some historian will quote this post as a
> moment of visionary prescience. Kevork, please archive it safely onto
> floppy disk or tape.]
>
> Mark
>

> On 11 August 2016 at 14:06, Robert Hind <robert at yinnar.com> wrote:
>
>> And they'll be able to use the setup for the SSM plebiscite too.
>>
>> Robert Hind
>> Ex Traralgon and Ashwood
>> Retired

>> *Subject:* Re: [Informatics] Census user flow
>>
>> Consider one-time set-up costs versus the reduced costs of future ongoing
>> usage, upgrades and maintenance.
>>
>> The first year of any new system involves heavy investment.
>> Later years (should) recoup the costs in improved efficiency, and also
>> (hopefully) improve effectiveness.
>> I think accountants call it 'amortisation'.
>>
>> Otherwise we'd still have telephone switchboard operators, policemen on
>> every intersection directing traffic, and Nepean Highway would still be one
>> lane each way.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Mark
>>
>> On 11 August 2016 at 13:23, Russo, Frank R <Russo.Frank.R at edumail.vic.gov
>> .au> wrote:
>>
>>> Surely the $350 million spent on the system would be far more expensive
>>> than the old print and fill in form method so is technology always the best
>>> way to go or is it just the boffins pushing it ?
>>>

>>> Frank Russo
>>>
>>> Mobile: 0409022197
>>>
>>> Work: 9781 7700
>>>
>>> Daily Organiser
>>> Teacher:- IT, Game Design, Robotics, Maths & Science
>>> AEU Branch President
>>> Consultative & Planning Committee Member
>>>
>>> [image: Monterey_Secondary_College_logo]
>>>
>>> Silvertop Street
>>>
>>> Frankston North
>>>
>>> Victoria, Australia

>>> ly-500000-on-load-testing-the-servers/news-story/d04709eca6e
>>> 02d1bbc492a0be9dffa58
>>>

>>> Some thoughts for pondering. Take one or a few of these to your
>>> Informatics class over the next week.
>>>

>>> -          What is the difference between a DDoS and a hack?
>>>
>>> -          How can you know if the census site was compromised?
>>>
>>> -          What is the problem/issue if the site WAS compromised?
>>>
>>> -          If the ABS suggests the hacks were created by the Chinese,
>>> how could this be found out, and how could these potentially have been
>>> stopped/mitigated?
>>>
>>> -          Who in an organisation would carry the responsibility for
>>> data security?  Who would make the big decisions (such as outsourcing the
>>> load testing procedures)?  What type of decisions would need to be made in
>>> creating a census, from strategic, to tactical to operational?
>>>
>>> -          Who would have been responsible for pulling the pin by
>>> bringing down the ABS servers last night?
>>>
>>> -          Why would the ABS have been tweeting for people to keep
>>> logging in at 8:30pm when the site was brought down at 7:30pm?  Can you see
>>> how this would reduce public confidence in the ability of the ABS to store
>>> private and sensitive information.
>>>
>>> -          What is load testing? (Please provide your information and
>>> response to the ABS, quick smart)
>>>
>>> -          Do you think that people should have been required to
>>> provide their name for the census?  If those who did not comply with this
>>> directive receive a fine, do you believe this is justified?
>>>
>>> -          What is de-identification? Why do we complete this process
>>> when working with sensitive data?
>>>
>>> -          Why does the government need our names, when they can
>>> already really easily link our passport, drivers licence and taxation
>>> information to get a very clear picture of our personal circumstances?
>>>
>>> -          If the ABS were not going to de-identify the data, does this
>>> breach any privacy legislation?  Who would lead a class action against the
>>> government?
>>>

>>> Students who are on Twitter can follow the #censusfail hashtag to see
>>> all of the different ways that the project was not deemed a success by one
>>> of their key stakeholders.
>>>

>>> Lucas
>>>

>>> PS Mark – there was an issue with the design where people who work from
>>> home but travel to clients weren’t able to enter their details, because the
>>> system could not anticipate such a question.  With an increasing amount of
>>> people telecommuting and contracting thanks to the NBN rollout, it’s
>>> something that should be fixed for next time.  If there is a next time.

>>> Disclaimer