[Yr7-10it] Melbourne YICTE (Apologies for the cross posting)

Therese Keane tkeane at swin.edu.au
Mon May 12 10:22:03 EST 2014

Dear Colleagues

It would be great to have your students enter the Young ICT Explorers event in Victoria this year. The competition scope is left deliberately broad and designed to work with the curriculum so your students can enter any technology related projects they have been working on in the classroom. The Competition is open to all students in Years 3 – 12. Students can compete individually or in teams of up to 4.

We are not asking for a project to be built solely for the event. But we also welcome those who want to submit projects they have been working on in their own time. The competition enables students to enter a technology related project they have been working in class. The competition is deliberately broad to encourage as much creativity and innovation as possible.  All types of projects are welcome provided they have a clear link to technology. Students have complete control of their ideas, enabling them to design projects they want to see brought to life. (Guidelines can be found in the Information pack - http://www.youngictexplorers.net.au/cms/images/2014_information_pack.pdf). Young ICT Explorers is a great way for students and teachers to see what's going on in others classrooms, share knowledge and excitement for ICT education in a fun and friendly environment. We will have some fantastic prizes up for grabs this year to reward and recognise the projects being created, not only for the students but for the winning schools also.

Register an account showing your interest with us by the 14th of June here: https://www.conftool.pro/youngictexplorers2014/

With the student's project documentation to be submitted online by the 7th July, students can continue working on their project right up until the event day on the 23rd of August. At the judging event – which will be held at Swinburne University students have the opportunity to present their project to a judging panel of academics and industry professionals for the chance to win great prizes and receive feedback from the ICT community. Each project is assessed on creativity, uniqueness, quality, level of difficulty and project documentation. We have seen projects in all sorts of states of completion being displayed at the events, so even if the projects aren't fully operational they still have a chance of winning prizes for their efforts. This competition has been very successful in QLD and NSW in the past as can be seen in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=al9v7QJL8yY

Even though we have not run this competition in Victoria in the past – we would like to get it off the ground this year – and need your support. I have provided a link with further information about YICTE- http://youngictexplorers.net.au/cms/ If you have further questions, please feel free to contact Travis Joy  (travis.joy at sap.com<mailto:travis.joy at sap.com>) or Dr Therese Keane (tkeane at swin.edu.au<mailto:tkeane at swin.edu.au>) for more information. There is no cost associated with this competition.

We are looking forward to hearing from you soon!

Cheers
Therese

Dr Therese Keane
Lecturer in ICT Skills Development
Faculty of Science, Engineering & Technology
Room: TD323
Phone: (+613) 9214 8579
Fax: (+613) 9819 0823

Twitter: #SwinEdTech