[Yr7-10it] Microsoft Small Basic

Bruckner, Neil D bruckner.neil.d at edumail.vic.gov.au
Wed Mar 14 10:17:12 EST 2012

I'm teaching Year 10 IT for this first time this year, and decided to update the curriculum.  I hadn't used Small Basic, but it turned out to be a great find, it's an excellent introduction to programming IMO.  It provides a simple interface that is focussed purely on coding, a lot less daunting for students than Visual Basic or Visual Studio.  It's also a free download :D  Anyone that did Logo back in the 80's will also get to reminisce.

You can visit the small basic site here<http://smallbasic.com/>.  There is a thriving community already, and students can share their code with the world.

There are also some good tutorials located at the following links:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-au/beginner/gg604844.aspx

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-au/beginner/gg597501.aspx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg2xlAmq9L0

I also showed some of my enthusiastic VET IT students, who are going to check it out in their own time.

If you haven't used it before I recommend you check it out.

Regards

Neil Bruckner

Bellarine Secondary College