[Yr7-10it] World's first spreadsheet

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 06:40:24 EST 2011

Crikey, I remember using VisiCalc on the Apple ][e during my first degree ..
giving away my age.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrM-FtjpQ8Y (French Tutorial)
     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GT3f4fimbD4 (Very old Apple Business
Graphics clip 1982)

Regards Roland

PS: Enjoy your retirement mate and keep in touch!

On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 11:48 PM, Colin SUTTON <oz.sutton at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I'm on LSL and stumbled upon this yesterday at Karnak Temple in Luxor. (If
> the attached photo doesn't show up in your browser email me and I'll send
> you a copy.)
>
> For those of you have told your students that Dan Bricklin and Bob
> Frankston
> ( 2 bored students at Harvard) invented the spreadsheet (
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VisiCalc), here's proof they didn't, by
> thousands of years (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karnak).
>
> The achievement is overshadowed somewhat by poor use of conventions
> (numbers
> are centred) and those terrible blank rows AT THE TOP! Perhaps they
> intended
> to graph the results, but time on the SAC beat them.
>
> I did push the 'Display formulae" button, (bottom RH corner) and the
> classic
> =SUM( ...  :  ...) appeared in the bottom row, but inexplicably I forgot to
> photograph it!
>
> Column A shows the names of the Pharaohs and the other columns their
> tribute
> to the gods (n - 10 , I - 1), again poor convention use doesn't really make
> clear the significance of these different columns.
>
> For those politically interested, the Egyptians are excited about the
> future, want their billions back and are VERY glad to see tourists (20%
> work
> in tourism! - 80% in Luxor) and there just aren't any. Scores of Nile
> Cruisers tied up in Luxor and Aswan. It's been great for me as none of the
> sites have ANY crowds (It can take a 30 minute queue to get into Tut's room
> at the Egyptian Museum - I went back about 5 times without any waiting). I
> was GENUINELY thanked by some for coming and even interviewed in the street
> (probably on Youtube, somewhere) about how I felt about things, especially
> did I feel safe (YES).
>

> Regards
>
> COLIN
> On LSL (pending retirement) Monty SC

> and

Roland Gesthuizen - eLearning Coordinator - Keysborough Secondary College