[Yr7-10it] 2010 VITTA Conference November 29-30 details

Phil Callil P.Callil at xavier.vic.edu.au
Mon Oct 4 11:13:00 EST 2010

Dear all (sorry for crossposts),

This week, the 2010 VITTA Conference program will be mailed out to all schools in Victoria.  Registrations will open this week as well. Be sure to factor the conference and the dinner (and possibly membership) into your budgets for the rest of the year!

To reach this point, I would like to extend sincere thanks to a number of people.  First and foremost, thank you to all who submitted an abstract.  Emails will be sent out this week to those successful.  The response this year for the call for papers has been wonderful and the program will clearly reflect the diversity and depth of those VITTA members who have submitted abstracts.  We strongly believe that any conference lives and dies by the quality of the program and this program is a ripper!  With so much happening in terms of the new VCE study design, State Government technology initiatives, the national curriculum, the continuing spread of mobile devices, social media and ICT innovation in our schools, there is a lot of choice.

Behind the scenes, thank you to the VITTA Committee. This year, the decision was made that all VITTA Committee members would be on the Conference Committee and this has worked well.  We had a five hour session after work three weeks ago and to the eight people who worked on reading, sorting, discussing and proofing abstracts, it was a rewarding session. With 21 concurrent sessions which include 8 lab workshops, there is something for all teachers K-12.  A number of independent people who have seen the program have been impressed by this year's offerings.

To the VITTA staff headed by Renee, our EO - Bridie, Jenny and Jo - thank you for all your hard work on the conference so far.  It's been a couple of big weeks recently but things are taking shape.  Bridie and Jenny will be managing the Registration desk each morning so please say hello to them.  Look for Jo's Twitter and Facebook posts over the next couple of weeks. Special thanks to Anne Burke, an independent consultant for lending a big hand over the last couple of weeks.

Microsoft's Managing Director for worldwide education, Larry Nelson and the Rev. Tim Costello are our two major keynotes and we look forward to listening to them. Other keynotes include the Animal Logic Creative Team (creators of "Legends of the Guardians" 3D animation that took US$16 mill in its first weekend last week), Adam Brice and Paul Callahan from the Freeplay Independent Games Festival.

This year, the conference is over two days and is at Caulfield Racecourse.  With the station right next door, the venue is especially well served by public transport.

Finally, a request.  Running a conference this size would not be possible without the generous support of our sponsors and exhibitors. They make it possible for us to have a good look at a variety of purchasing options for 2011. With the bulk of BDR funding to be allocated in 2011, can I ask all delegates and presenters to spend time visiting exhibitors in the trade expo. It's a great opportunity to network and see the latest.  The VITTA Conference is renowned for its prize give aways and the best way to win is to visit every exhibitor to go in to the draw for prizes.

Apple are providing mobile devices for the conference (with perhaps a twist) to delegates so be early to avoid disappointment, Microsoft have a Kinect Games area and there's at least one coffee cart with the real stuff for no charge. Conference wiki to be set up soon.

Other highlights include a new leadership forum for Prins, ICT Leaders and Curriculum Coordinators from all three sectors on the Tuesday and a Technicans' conference on the Monday.

Tell your colleagues to come along, encourage your school's leadership team to be there and we look forward to welcoming teachers and decision makers from around Victoria, Australia and internationally to this year's conference.

Best wishes

Phil

Phil Callil
Vice President VITTA and 2010 Conference Director
VITTA Annual Conference
Australia's biggest annual K-12 ICT in Education conference
Caulfield Racecourse November 29-30
Phone 0401 534 487
www.vitta.org.au

Faculty Head ICT
Xavier College
Phone 9855-4163
www.xavier.vic.edu.au

"This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the Network Manager at Xavier College. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Xavier College. Whilst every attempt has been made to ensure material in this email message is free from computer viruses or other defects, the attached files are provided, and may only be used, on the basis that the user assumes all responsibility for the use of the material transmitted."