[Yr7-10it] New National Curriculum

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Sun Sep 13 18:06:55 EST 2009

Well done Brendyn! I must try this with my year 7's before and after your
activity. I did hear about a research project that asked different
generations to draw what they thought the inside of a radio looked like
(iPod, mobile phone etc..) Apparently the younger kids had absolutely no
idea.

We now have a throw-away, black box generation that has trouble visualising
a circuit board, describing a computer chip or understand basic electronics.
Not hard to see why when we are surrounded by so much equipment that cannot
be serviced, opened and the decline in school based technology activities
that once provided some hands-on experiences. Compare us with a family in
India that can service and repair their own mobile phones and consider where
real innovation is going to happening.

Arthur C. Clarke once remarked "Any sufficiently advanced technology is
indistinguishable from *magic*."

I would like my students to appropriate and embrace technology with reasoned
understanding, not cloak it in commercial mysticism then worship it with a
misplaced awe.

Regards Roland

PS: The OLPC computers can be repaired by a child with a screwdriver. Google
the videos on YouTube for details. Try that with a Netbook ;-)

http://www.westallsc.vic.edu.au