[Yr7-10it] A video about a 1-1 Apple laptop middle school in NYC

Phil Callil P.Callil at xavier.vic.edu.au
Sun Sep 6 21:14:28 EST 2009

Geoff and Margaret,

Thanks for your comments.  Geoff, your taste in music sounds similar to mine.... kids today just don't appreciate good music of yester year......

I've been doing a laptop preparation workshop for our Yr 8s who will purchase a portable computer of some kind next year... netbook, sub notebook, not quite sure yet.

Some of the topics covered include skill development, computer addiction, gaming, illegal downloading of music, identity theft, esecurity,  social media use, home management, time wasting, sleep deprivation and multi tasking.  Students complete activities that are auto corrected using our LMS.  It seems to be filling a void with the result that students have more of an understanding of their responsibilities and obligations.

I appreciate your comments in trying to help me get my head around the whole idea of multitasking and its effectiveness or otherwise.

Cheers

Phil

Phil Callil
Faculty Head IT
Xavier College
9855-4163
www.xavier.vic.edu.au

Vice President VITTA
www.vitta.org.au/

iChat: pcallil at mac.com   Skype: pcallil000
>>> Margaret Lawson <margaret.lawson at konstantkaos.net> 09/05/09 6:10 PM >>>
There was a report kicking around about 6 months ago which concluded
that multi-tasking while learning a concept for a first time inhibited
the retention rate of the students. Therefore it is harder to learn a
skill unless you are totally focused on the learning. However,
multitasking while repeating a skill already learnt (and ingrained) did
not inhibit the performance of the student.

Most adults know this instinctively, if we are trying to concentrate on
something whether it is reading a paper or parking a car, the music goes
off.

:)

Margaret

--