[Yr7-10it] inkscape

Bill Kerr billkerr at gmail.com
Thu May 21 21:54:17 EST 2009

Inkscape <http://www.inkscape.org/> is a very good Open Source vector
graphics editor

I've been using it with my year 10s recently. I wanted to give them a solid
rationale for learning inkscape so here is what I said:

   - Inkscape is a free, open source SVG graphics editor
   - Scalable - ability to scale without pixelation
   - Small file size compared with bitmaps
   - Cool animations are possible (although not with inkscape, )
   - potential for use on mobile phones

A huge bonus for teachers is that the resources are excellent as well. I
learnt inkscape myself through the tutorials that go with it: Help >
Tutorials.

For my more advanced students I've downloaded videos from the screencasters
site <http://screencasters.heathenx.org/> going back to the start of the
archive there

See my blog for some screenshots of student work:
http://billkerr2.blogspot.com/2009/05/inkscape.html