[Yr7-10it] netbooks being distributed to every year 5 and 6 studentin northern victoria primary schools

Darrel Branson ictguy at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 16:48:26 EST 2009

G¹day Everyone,
Sorry for being late getting in on this thread. I¹m an advocate of
opensource software in schools (moodle, drupal, firefox, etc) and the free
scratch program
(http://www.smsn.vic.edu.au/ictguy/index.php/scratch-resources/)

Just be aware that, from memory, the 1024 px by 600px netbook screen
resolution presents it¹s share of problems. For example, Scratch wants
1024x768 to run. So the the bottom of the screen gets lopped off :(( And I
couldn't find a solution on the scratch forums for Scratch on netbooks. Also
for the above reasons, the netbook ships with kahootz version 2, because
version 3 requires a greater screen resolution.

We are working through other issues of drivers and software on a case by
case basis. It¹s early days, but I all I can say is that the students are
ready for Œ1 to 1¹. It will be interesting to see if both students and
teachers maintain this initial enthusiasm.

Rob Sbaglia and I recorded some of our initial thoughts on a podcast (not
exciting stuff but may be of interest).
http://www.smsn.vic.edu.au/ictguy/index.php/2009/03/22/ictguy0903-1-to-1-net
books-with-doctor-rob/

Kind Regards
Darrel

BTW I thought it would have been bold to do a linux netbook rollout but
unfortunately Vic DEECD is very much an M$ shop. Performance is ok at the
moment but time will tell if they suffer windows rot. And the performance of
Windows Movie Maker and VISTA on low spec¹d hardware will be interesting ­
I¹ll try and keep you posted.

Darrel Branson
Ultranet Coach
Sunraysia Mallee Schools Network
http://www.smsn.vic.edu.au
Blog http://www.smsn.vic.edu.au/ictguy
email:branson.darrel.l at edumail.vic.gov.au
skype: ictguy
Ph:50235190 Fax:50231294 Mobile: 0408 231029