[Yr7-10it] netbooks being distributed to every year 5 and 6 studentin northern victoria primary schools

Costello, Rob R Costello.Rob.R at edumail.vic.gov.au
Tue Mar 24 11:55:06 EST 2009

Hi Bill

Anne is obviously much better positioned to definitively answer these questions but i'll have a preliminary go at one or two as an interested observer  (i would have been in a p-10 school that was getting some of the netbooks, if i hadn't taken 12 months leave of absence to work for an educational software company)

i recall seeing some introductory programming tools  (scratch, gamemaker) on the image - don't think e-toys was there

i noticed some useful links on Darrel Branson's site as well that you might want to look at - Darrel is a strong ICT advocate, is on this list, and he also has a supporting role for the project (sorry if i didn't describe that correctly Darrel!)
http://www.smsn.vic.edu.au/ictguy/

from a school perspective, i think most local teachers would generally have a positive response, mixed in some cases with some personal uncertainity that they will quite know how to utilise them most effectively

At the other end you have people who can't wait till we have greater access across all classes

i know Anne has done a lot of interesting work with wikis and other curriculum projects with this age group, so her experience with convincing projects like this will no doubt be a strong example as it gets going

again unofficially, i think the general vision would include 'personalising education'

certainly in Bendigo, where there are 4 brand new secondary schools replacing 5 old ones, that would be part of the vision - the education plan behind the new buildings looks to establish 'learning communities', moving away from the 'age related', 'factory model' of schooling , and looks to ICT to provide greater personalisation in this environment (the secondary schools are all aware that the kids will soon be coming through with these netbooks)

we ran a pilot year 7 and 8  learning community last year, and the high laptop ratio that the school provided (about 1:2.5   - or 1:1.5 if you include desktops) certainly helped make it all work

some observations - kids loved the laptops; invariably chose them over desktops if possible - self directed project learning time ran much better with the high laptop ratio

our techs had been wary about these fragile machines in kids hands; - other schools had reported significant damage to their banks of laptops - but it wasn't a problem

we had no damage whatsoever ....which i think was tied to  personal accountability - kids had to swipe the barcoded computers in and out of the system (a library terminal - although not in the library) ...so they felt accountable.
It was a little tedious to do, but worth it  (individual ownership would remove that step as well)

i think the sense of doing something different in school also increased ownership

anyway, personally i think its all a good thing....especially in schools that are rethinking their whole educational premises

as a maths/science teacher, i'd love to have ICT available like this - think it changes the game significantly - for example opens up other ways to think of maths learning - and no doubt many opportunities open up in all areas...

cheers
rob