[Yr7-10it] o/t: cardiac arrest

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Sat Mar 21 23:40:27 EST 2009

I have hung an SAED next to our reception in our school office. I hope we
never have to use it at my work place. Having said that and having used this
technology in the field, it simply works but does require some training.

Sadly, besides my IT apprentices and my firstaid staff, I cannot get any
admin or teaching staff motivated for first-aid and SAED training. Even the
teacher aides who put up their hands three years ago are fed up getting
lumped with first-aid calls that they feel should be shared around.

If somebody suddenly requires a trained operator to deliver a life giving
shock with an SAED .. with our year 10 surf life saving squad recieving
paramedical training from RLSSA.. more students are now trained to use these
units than teachers. It is an issue that I was used to as a Cadet Leader
with St John Ambulance Australia working with young adults. When I mention
it to teachers over lunch, they sometimes sheepishly giggle it will never
happen then look around nervously.

Nothing beats learning CPR. Don't wait for your school to offer a course, do
the right thing and learn first aid. If you did it over three years ago, the
technique has already changed and improved. Do it again.

I first learned this simple technique over three decades ago.  As a waiter,
I once stood by watching, I trusted that others would apply what I learned.
Nobody did. You should.

Regards Roland Gesthuizen (First-Aid Coordinator)

http://www.westallsc.vic.edu.au