[Yr7-10it] Tools for Interactivity (Was: Missed the boat?)

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 08:25:59 EST 2009

Paul is right .. I never had  a problem 'interacting' with a blackboard or
whiteboard. Similarly I have doubts about using it to just watch some
students interact at the front of the class.

There are similar low tech tools that have a similar collaboration and
aggregation function if used correctly. I seen splendid lessons conducted by
student teachers using yellow post-it- pads and butchers paper (and perhaps
too many that just chalk and talk). When somebody mentioned something about
voting by touching an Interactive White Board (IWB) so I tossed my departing
senior class a traditional set of white-board markers and asked them to
scribble a 'vote' on the board as they left the room. (typical XY plot that
ranks boring <----> interesting, vs learned heaps <----> nothing). I then
photographed the result to reflect and posted into Moodle and even got all
my markers back.

I would suggest exploring the use of a couple of cheap bluetooth enabled
keyboards / waicom drawing pads. Without any new software they should work
natively with our iMacs and 2Touch IWB setup (even be adapted with a plain
old projector setup) and mean that groups of students scattered around the
classroom can share in the construction of a class mind map, contribute to a
Moodle wiki or online discussion. It is an interesting experiment I would
like to try out.

Any IWB initial positive gain that is observed probably comes from the
Hawthorne
effect <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawthorne_effect>. After spending all
that money, is anybody going to be brave enough to claim only an incremental
benefit?

For now I see that it is just a cool tool that we can use to teach well some
of the time but will is not guaranteed to automatically upgrade teachers to
version 2.0

Regards Roland

http://www.westallsc.vic.edu.au