[Yr7-10it] Missed the boat? (Was: the IWB revolution continues)

Costello, Rob R Costello.Rob.R at edumail.vic.gov.au
Tue Mar 10 22:19:51 EST 2009

agreed...electronic versions of talk and chalk can be better than the analogue version - (although no gaurantees)

but not as empowering as giving kids control which i think is the main attraction of ICT in most cases (allowing more options and choices - thus more personalisation - as well as more creative options for modelling and simulation)

but personally, i'm luke warm about the tactile aspect of the IWB ...can't see compelling reasons yet for it in secondary maths and science

but i'd love a projector in every room and kids with interactive tablets or, even better, laptops

i have no problem with kids running part of the lesson but its no big deal in my eyes whether they come up and touch the screen or use the mouse / keyboard - why should there be any difference? apart from the inital novelty i don't see whats so compelling about touching the screen?

haven't used the bluetooth tablets much and while its probably good still seems a cut below giving kids full ict access

in my view, improving the ratio and access for kids to technology,  so pen and paper is not necessarily the default for them (when its not for us anymore) will enable a whole lot of things - ict no longer the addon  - teachers and students can in the same medium

i've been working all day - on plane and train - and haven't touched a pen once - kids would go there as well if we let them - and then things can change - won't be anchored to a whole lot of old practice

might not be all good - and the cynics probably have a good set of concerns - but its where the rest of (western) world has already gone - ie workplace etc - and we're hamstringing the ict revolution while its still such a part time proposition (its like the era when people had to walk in front of the first automobiles - which i've heard Julia atkins describe, in other context)

cheers, my 2c

rob