[Yr7-10it] Twittering

Costello, Rob R Costello.Rob.R at edumail.vic.gov.au
Sat Jun 27 17:03:10 EST 2009

> Its worth looking at how successful applications like World of
Warcraft,
> Myspace and Facebook have facilitated the building of virtual
communities.
> It seems they use social standing and social connectedness as their
basic
> currency.

Scratch is another interesting example. The web forum and project
sharing are a big part of its success

No doubt there are other interesting introductory programming
environments with visual interface  ....but the web2 / online community
aspect of scratch seems to have made a big difference

The fact that you can observe, download someone elses project, see how
it works, modify, upload your own ....has no doubt helped build a sense
of learning beyond the F1 key  (the user guides are good there though...
I needed them to get started)

I suspect there always need to be expert advice at some level...my gut
feeling is a lot of kids prefer some face to face examples to get
started on scratch  ...and yet my 7 year old doesn't need much help, if
any, to master a complex computer game

(we are genuinely collaborating on problem solving when we play a wii
adventure game together - can't be many forums that would put us at the
same level ...help is inbuilt into the game itself)

Mibbit.