[Yr7-10it] re : "purists" (was no subject)

Costello, Rob R Costello.Rob.R at edumail.vic.gov.au
Fri Jul 10 23:35:44 EST 2009

i don't think anyone is against web2 - all very cool and useful

i think the issue on this list a while ago was when the wonders of  'web 2' were used to imply that any semblance of 'IT as computer science' was not really needed in school or in the world of ICT education ...and could be shelved as old hat

but if kids or teacher are going to produce as well as consume in these environments then some technical skills are possibly needed  (html  / Actionscript, php, python, whatever  ...) : for some percentage of kids this *mindset* should be cultivated by school  (which technical branch is almost beside the point)

just as we wouldn't want to water mathematics down to just numeracy for all ...as good as that is, we also aim to go deeper for those who will love the inquiry into abstract patterns etc - and should give all a taste of what that might mean ...why i like scratch etc

ICT in schools needs both, IMO - both practical use of the tools,web 2 etc; and also the depth that comes from going a bit deeper -

we  lose out if the whole system just aims no higher than 'information literacy' (and is falsely impressed with the idea that digital natives just can pick up deeper concepts themselves ..i have kids this age and i'm impressed with what they pck up ...and also know there is a lot they and 98% of students don't self teach.. including some of the more powerful ideas)

i'm not teaching this year - am designing widgets for maths learning amongst other things ...and though others do most of the heavy technical work, every obscure thing i've learnt and wrestled with is still useful ...

(to use your example i also wouldn't write a page in html these days if i could avoid it ...but sometimes the skills are valuable - they open possibliities when the blog won't format properly or the widget won't embed properly or you want to write a dynamic application that spits out html formated information to the web ... or want to bend the system beyond the standard menu options ...)

....when we accept numeracy in place of mathematics (as reasonable as that would be for many), then i think we can accept info literacy in place of any computer science ideas in the curriculum

(not that you are suggesting that i know)

i know i'm preaching to the choir in responding to this ...so just a random thought dump

cheers

rob