[Yr7-10it] How to interest girls in ICT electives at middle-secondary level?

Michael Torsello (Mr) michael at stmargarets.vic.edu.au
Mon Aug 10 09:08:26 EST 2009

Dear colleagues
I teach at a girls' school and surprisingly I don't have a problem
getting students into middle school IT.
I offer a semester unit each of multimedia and programming at Yr 10 - no
IT any earlier.
In Multimedia I use Moviemaker and SwishMax (a cheaper version of Flash)
and teach Visual Basic for programming.
I have had large classes for Multimedia and smallish classes for
programming each of the last 3 years that I have offered these courses.

My problem is getting students to select Information Technology units
1-4.
We haven't run a Unit 1-2 class for this study design and my last 3-4
class was two years ago.
As soon as the students realise that Multimedia and/or Programming is a
small part of Units 1-4 and that they have to study databases and
spreadsheets, they run away in droves.

And there is no way I could get a course on databases and spreadsheets
off the ground here.
With thanks
Michael Torsello
Director of Computing