[Yr7-10it] How to interest girls in ICT electives at middle-secondary level?

Donna Benjamin donna at cc.com.au
Fri Aug 7 17:37:09 EST 2009

Thanks Kevork - nice work.

Would be great to extend this informal survey and get a bunch of Yr 7-9s

I've been looking at this issue from the other end lately... big
discussions are a foot about the low numbers of women programmers in the
open source community, and at LCA this year we ran a workshop
brainstorming ideas for encouraging girls to consider ICT careers and
hobbies.

You can view the notes taken here:
 http://geekfeminism.wikia.com/wiki/Getting_girls_into_IT

There are 3 great books to give you background info, stats and stories
on the underlying issues of a lack of diversity in IT in the Western
world.

 Unlocking the Clubhouse: Women in Computing by Margolis and Fisher
http://tr.im/vPv7

 Reconfiguring the firewall: Recruiting Women to Information Technology
across Cultures and Continents by Burger, Creamer and Meszaros
 http://anitaborg.org/news/archive/reconfiguring-your-firewall/

 Women and Information Technology: Research on Underrepresentation by
Cohoon and Asprey
http://mitpress.mit.edu/catalog/item/default.asp?ttype=2&tid=10924

Have any of you tried using Alice or Scratch in the junior years
 - how have girls responded to this?

http://www.alice.org/
http://scratch.mit.edu/

This is an important issue...  If girls just aren't interested in IT we
all lose. As Kirrily Roberts said in her recent keynote address on this
issue "You can teach programming; you can't teach passion or diversity".
http://infotrope.net/blog/2009/07/25/standing-out-in-the-crowd-my-oscon-keynote/

Role Models, Mentors, Tasks of interest, but also - look at your IT
classrooms - are there any images of women using technology?

Perhaps get some posters made up of women in TV / popular culture using
technology - Angelina Jolie from hackers, Trinity in the Matrix, Willow
from Buffy, Mac from Veronica Mars, Angela in Bones - do people have
some more recent examples?

The use of mobile phones in gossip girl could be interesting too...

cheers
Donna

--
Donna Benjamin - Executive Director