[Yr7-10it] girls, IT, computer literacy

Costello, Rob R Costello.Rob.R at edumail.vic.gov.au
Mon Mar 31 15:26:33 EST 2008

Here's a bit more of what I think we're missing

Information fluency, rather than information literacy

http://www.educause.edu/ir/library/pdf/pub7006f.pdf

not that I'm fussed about the terms per se, but the notion that "skills"
are not enough, is a key here

Also relates to the idea of doing more than "black boxing" the
technology as an unknown which we use for various "higher order"
purposes

.

 I know "I don't focus on the technology"  sounds noble - and seems more
enlightened than an unhealthy fascination with techno stuff - but I'm
interested in how the absence of underlying understandings compromises
innovation in the medium

Eg I wonder if its like a person saying I don't focus on the words in,
say, a video clip, just the overall meaning  - since I'm a 21st century
learner

- that's fine - but of course we'd all want to know, if you had my
student - can you still write something worthwhile?

We'd see the gaps there  -- we have a clearer idea of what traditional
literacy entails - and would only  reluctantly embrace video literacy as
an *alternative* to print literacy - we'd want most kids to get the
traditional skills as well

we don't seem to see that clearly with digital media - we make trade
offs about what digital literacy means without sensing what we're losing

eg can we do more than post on each other blogs about how the world is
changing (sorry, shifting)

can we create tools? Can we understand it all the way down, at least in
principle?

http://www.nap.edu/html/beingfluent/es.html

Generally, "computer literacy" has acquired a "skills" connotation,
implying competency with a few of today's computer applications, such as
word processing and e-mail. Literacy is too modest a goal in the
presence of rapid change, because it lacks the necessary "staying
power." As the technology changes by leaps and bounds, existing skills
become antiquated and there is no migration path to new skills. A better
solution is for the individual to plan to adapt to changes in the
technology. This involves learning sufficient foundational material to
enable one to acquire new skills independently after one's formal
education is complete.

     This requirement of a deeper understanding than is implied by the
rudimentary term "computer literacy" motivated the committee to adopt
"fluency" as a term connoting a higher level of competency. People
fluent with information technology (FIT persons) are able to express
themselves creatively, to reformulate knowledge, and to synthesize new
information. Fluency with information technology (i.e., what this report
calls FITness) entails a process of lifelong learning in which
individuals continually apply what they know to adapt to change and
acquire more knowledge to be more effective at applying information
technology to their work and personal lives.

     Fluency with information technology requires three kinds of
knowledge: contemporary skills, foundational concepts, and intellectual
capabilities. These three kinds of knowledge prepare a person in
different ways for FITness.

*	Contemporary skills, the ability to use today's computer
applications, enable people to apply information technology immediately.
In the present labor market, skills are an essential component of job
readiness. Most importantly, skills provide a store of practical
experience on which to build new competence.
*	Foundational concepts, the basic principles and ideas of
computers, networks, and information, underpin the technology. Concepts
explain the how and why of information technology, and they give insight
into its opportunities and limitations. Concepts are the raw material
for understanding new information technology as it evolves.
*	Intellectual capabilities, the ability to apply information
technology in complex and sustained situations, encapsulate higher-level
thinking in the context of information technology. Capabilities empower
people to manipulate the medium to their advantage and to handle
unintended and unexpected problems when they arise. The intellectual
capabilities foster more abstract thinking about information and its
manipulation.

In answer to last years VITTA conference, yes, I want a revolution