[Yr7-10it] RE: A Girls in computing group...

Alida Bonotto abonotto at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 31 08:37:00 EST 2008

I'm a 52 year old female computer geek who has been teaching IT since the early 90s. In my many years of teaching lots of girls in IT, I have learnt that the girls who dump IT quick smart are the ones who like to "prettify" and be all girly - and quite frankly good riddance to them. The real female IT fans tend to keep it quiet and mainly don't take it up because they don't want their female peers teasing them, or they don't want to be in a class dominated by boys. It takes a strong independent girl to go all the way with IT. The IT girls are out there, we just have to create the right environment for them and have many more female role models for them to see.