[Yr7-10it] FW: ICT in year 9

lisa.field lisa.field at overnewton.vic.edu.au
Mon Mar 17 08:11:21 EST 2008

Thanks Diane.

This gives me some great ideas!

Lisa Field

9 Yellow Pastoral Care

From: yr7-10it-bounces at edulists.com.au
[mailto:yr7-10it-bounces at edulists.com.au] On Behalf Of Diane Peat
Sent: Friday, 14 March 2008 10:36 AM
To: 'Year 7 - 10 Information Technology Teachers' Mailing List'
Subject: RE: [Yr7-10it] FW: ICT in year 9

Hello Lisa

We run Year 9 Media at our school - girls only independent. It's called
Media to distinguish it from Year 11 Multimedia. We look at the main
types of media - newspapers and magazines, television, film and radio,
and now the internet as well. To start the semester, I get them to use
Photoshop to adjust pictures and photos ready for use in their films or
magazines, so they have a couple of weeks on that.

The major assessment tasks are

1.     Newspaper/magazine - using Adobe InDesign
We start with some discussion on types of newspapers (tabloid,
broadsheet, gutter press) then we look at parts of newspapers -
obituary, classified, features, sport, etc, what impact the newspapers
have on people these days, particularly compared to the use of the
internet by teenagers. We look at magazines and the impact of
advertising and pictures on teenagers and the general public. The girls
are then asked to create four pages (they usually run out of time and
create two!) of a magazine. Magazines are much easier for the girls
because they can relate to them more readily than a newspaper! The idea
is that they all use the same master document to create their pages, so
that someone (usually me) can put them together into a book with page
numbers and a table of contents at the front. I get them to write the
stories themselves which means that some may write very short articles
and create a big advertisement. Or I might get the girls who really
struggle with words to create front and back cover and the table of
contents. I get them to bring in magazines - they love that! - to look
at for their ideas but the content must be their own. Being girls, they
usually opt for stories about clothes, makeup and music.

2.     They write, film and edit a five minute documentary - we enter
these into the Bayside Youth Documentary Film Festival and have terrific
support from the film maker who comes in for about six workshops during
this period. We also had a full day on Tuesday at Sandringham Secondary
College where they looked at how to film, use of lighting, shadow, etc,
as well as watch previous docos from winners in the festival. We use
Adobe Premiere Pro for editing but there are other software programs out
there that are less expensive.

3.     We use Audacity (free download) to create an advertisement for
their films which (hopefully) we play in time to generate interest in
the students to come along at lunch time to view the "World Premiere" of
their films. This is usually at the end of semester when we are all
stressed and worn out!

Added to that, we do tasks in class - Photoshop, Illustrator (for
advertising poster) and, if time - which there usually isn't - we also
watch an older film or television show, so the girls can do a film
review.

I hope that gives you some ideas - please feel free to contact me off
list if you want more info.

Stay out of the heat today!

Regards

Diane Peat