[Yr7-10it] re : projects or games?

Bill Kerr billkerr at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 02:18:08 EST 2008

rob:
meanwhile school maths seems a formulaic, excessively abstract thing;

there's an amazing critique of school maths circulating at the moment called
Lockhart's lament
http://www.maa.org/devlin/devlin_03_08.html (pdf 25pp)

"This beautifully written lament takes some powerful swipes at school maths,
textbooks, our suppression of the drama of maths history, our collective
cultural ignorance of maths (we think we know but we don't) and supplies
some great examples of real maths teaching (the triangle in a box problem,
the sum and difference of two numbers problem)"
-
http://billkerr2.blogspot.com/2008/03/what-is-maths-paul-lockharts-simplicio.html

Computers are not mentioned in this critique but Rob's brilliant idea of
combining line rider with cartesian graphing would be another way of
addressing this issue

If a project can be a game as well so much the better - but some games have
game overhead issues that are not particularly educational. There is overlap
b/w projects and games but they are not the same thing. Scratch is about
projects but nevertheless the game tag is very large on the scratch site.
http://scratch.mit.edu/

One problem with gamemaker is that through its name and design the almost
irresistible agenda becomes "make a game" - well what if that is not what
the educational leader wants to do at that particular time?

btw I liked the comment from the girl who "seemed suspicious that maths was
generally useless and I was making this up" - it seems possible that she
might be in the process of changing her mind about the nature of maths

Scratch does not have text processing - there is a good summary of its
strengths and weaknesses here (along with some other  programming
languages):
http://livingcode.org/2008/the-importance-of-visual-programming

"It also has some pretty severe limitations: no user-defined blocks, no
return values, no file interaction (so no high scores), no network
interaction, no dynamic object creation, the program cannot draw on sprites
(only on the background), no string variables or any real string handling.
It is a great environment for learning to think creatively within its
constraints, but my kids also bump up against its limits pretty quickly."

--
Bill Kerr
http://billkerr2.blogspot.com/