[Yr7-10it] Alice Programming (and Randy)

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Sat Mar 8 18:09:24 EST 2008

Thanks for the links Margaret and Paul :-)

Amongst a suite of other programming languages, we are now using it at
Westall SC and installed it on all the college computers. Alice comes with a
good built-in tutorial that gets students started. With the Alice GUI tools
and some simple Python scripting, they can easily move images around a
screen to create a 3D story. Not sure what bugs you have running it over the
network Diana (bandwidth?).  I have not seen it crash, perhaps because we
installed it locally.

Another cool Python tool we loaded onto the image is Ren'Py that supports
the creation of visual novels.  Odly enough, some of the boys related to
this from their use of Adventure Quest, an online game.
   It is available with some sample games and an interactive tutorial from
http://RenPy.org

These seem to be very engaging tools for my middle school students. I have
not done an extensive literature review but from what I have read so far,
presenting programming in a storytelling context is a great way to engage
and motivate girls. Lindy McKeown mentioned something along this line at the
2008 VITTA conference keynote address.

Regards Roland

http://www.westallsc.vic.edu.au