[Yr7-10it] RE: Gamemaker question

Costello, Rob R Costello.Rob.R at edumail.vic.gov.au
Thu Mar 6 12:41:24 EST 2008

Hi Kent

To get an object to move or slow, you can do this

When the object is created (in its create event), use the "control" tab
to drag on a "set variable" action

Use it to set a variable called "speed" to say, 10

(speed and direction are inbuilt properties - so you can give an object
speed and direction by setting these variables - direction is in
degrees)

setting these variables is like using the icons on the move tab

then, add a step event in the object

set the variable "speed" to "speed * 0.98"

that will slow it down by 2% every step - I think it steps at 30 frames
per second

takes a few seconds to slow to almost nothing - but will go on for ever
losing 2% of its current value

so add a "test variable" action into the step event - "if speed is
smaller than 0.1"
and drag on "set variable" under that - use it to set the speed variable
to 0

PS you will probably want some other way to get the object moving I
imagine - ie probably not in the "create event" - I can imagine one
approach would be, if balls hit, to set the stationary balls to the same
speed of the colliding ball - and give the cue ball stops zero so it
stops dead - or maybe give the stationary ball 80% of initial speed, and
reduce the cue or colliding ball to 20%.

don't know how you would do direction - maybe give the stationary ball
the same direction as the original ball, plus or minus say 5 degrees so
it's a bit unpredictable - glancing touches would be trickier

(Ps don't include the quotes in GameMaker)

hope this helps  - Tony is the GameMaker guru - probably have other ways
of doing it

Cheers

Rob

>    1. Gamemaker question (Kent Beveridge)

> Getting the kids to make a 'snooker' game.
> How can we get the balls on the table to appear to 'slow down to a
stop'
> as would occur on a real table?(assuming they dont go into a pocket).
> This event is to occur allowing for the collision of balls on the
table
> with each other and the cushions.
>
> Kent Beveridge,
> I.T. co-ordinator
> St. Brigids Catholic Sec. College
> Horsham
> email.. kbeveridge at stbc.vic.edu.au
>
> |<3|\|7  b3\/3r1D93 ?  ;-)
>
> Wishes and Eggs, one you make and one you break!  A bit like
promises.....
> "This email and any attachments may be confidential.  You must not
> disclose or use the information in this email if you are not the
intended
> recipient.  If you have received this email in error, please notify us
> immediately and delete the email and all copies.  The School does not
> guarantee that this email is virus or error free.  The attached files
are
> provided and my only be used on the basis that the user assumes all
> responsibility for any loss, damage or consequence resulting directly
or
> indirectly from the use of the attached files, whether caused by the
> negligence of the sender or not.  The content and opinions in this
email
> are not necessarily those of the School."

> I have to agree with you Bill. This year I am going to guide students
> towards projects with a broader perspective, ala "create something
that
> will make the world a better place to live in".
>
> Last week I have some year 10 IT girls that are exploring the
construction
> of a creative dance type solution using Scratch. (Starting from the
handy
> worksheet that  you so kindly shared on this list! Thankyou :-)
Whilst
> some didn't like their work, perhaps because it lacked the gaming
elements
> that others were building. A couple of us spotted the more creative,
art
> installation that these girls were trying to program.
>
> Regards Roland
>

> On 18/02/2008, Bill Kerr <billkerr at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> 	I think it's better that we ask our students to create projects
> rather than games
>
> 	This represents a trade off between motivation (games are more
> motivating for some) and a curriculum based more on educational
principles

> 	more ...
> 	http://billkerr2.blogspot.com/2008/02/projects-or-games.html
>
> 	--