[Yr7-10it] Searching year 8 material 2009

Diane Peat dpeat at firbank.vic.edu.au
Mon Jun 23 14:15:30 EST 2008

Hello Caterina
These links may help with ideas for Year 8. You could also get them to use
Audacity (free download) sound recording software to create a voice or music
file that can be exported as an .mp3 file so they could put revision notes
onto their iPods. I keep pushing the girls at my school to do that ... not
much luck so far though.

http://www.actden.com/skills2k/www.htm - explanation of the internet and www
using Flash. I think it could be good as the basis of a multiple choice
test.

http://www.teach-ict.com/index.html - English site that has links to lots of
things including video tutorials and ICT quizzes where the student builds
something as they answer a question correctly. It's corny ... but it's fun
for them.

With Year 7 this year, I broke them into groups of four/five and each group
was given an 'ICT challenge' - one group had to take a group of two teachers
and five students to Sydney for three days on a historical tour; one was to
arrange a fashion parade for three year olds; one was to create a new
chocolate bar and wrapper, etc. This meant that they had to learn to work as
a team, make decisions on who would research and who would do tasks. The
tasks included things like invitations, letters, budgets, flights,
itineraries, seating, accommodation, etc. They used the Office products
along with Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, Audacity and a few others. If
you didn't have all those, there are Open Source downloads you could use
instead (eg. Gimp, etc). It has helped develop their responsibility,
confidence and independent thinking and has been a great learning exercise
for them. My only gripe is that I wasn't timetabled for it; rather, I had to
steal classes from faculties and this didn't help continuity.

I found the girls needed to 'do' something - listening to a teacher explain
things wasn't successful - they just want to get in and do! And they love to
have something to show at the end of the sessions; it gives them a sense of
achievement and time well spent.

I'm happy to provide more info if you email me directly
(dpeat at firbank.vic.edu.au) but I'm leaving tomorrow for NSW and won't be
back until after the weekend, so I may take a few days to reply.

Good luck

Diane Peat
Firbank Grammar School
BRIGHTON