[Yr7-10it] The Learning Federation

Costello, Rob R Costello.Rob.R at edumail.vic.gov.au
Sat Jun 7 08:04:18 EST 2008

Bit revolutionary  :)

While I'm sympathetic to what they're -trying- to do with the digital
learning objects ...

... I'm not at all sure

- that they really fit the needs of teachers / students etc

Eg :
- many activities feel like they hem you in   - highly scripted, limited
choices, limited construction

- not sure whether the quality is there

- not sure whether trying to make so many works - most activities in
itself tend to be limited

- I wonder what the hit rate is for 'good' resources among all the work
that has been done

I've looked at the resources a few times :

Never seen or heard any secondary teacher outside of maths using any of
the objects - I'm sure a few people from the list will have?

But I wonder if the civics / humanities simulations are very usable -
especially post primary?  I might be wrong - just haven't seen it

The money seems pretty huge

Comparisons might be odious, but I saw a trial of mathletics the other
day

Somehow or other they've hit on a model that both kids and teachers
instinctively felt would work - don't know I've often had a full class
for 73 minutes, without even one year 8 kid getting sidetracked

- it has a collaborative mode; allows kids to race against players from
around the world

Also has a framework that ties it together - points and credits
accumulate from different activities - uses avatars etc  - something
about all that kids like

Also has a tracking system that gives you feedback on your kids / class

Allows lets you schedule homework activities

Can be accessed from home

Looks better to me.... focussed on one area... and does it really well

Rob

New
> Zealand curricula, and delivering it for free distribution to schools
..
> The Initiative has delivered a valuable national asset that will
directly
> support the national curriculum and assessment agenda for decades to
> come."
>

> Hmm .. sounds good. But, their funding runs out next year, by which
time I
> believe they were meant to be self-funding. But on their website they
have
> a plan for considerably more *government* funding.
>
> Ok, so, a fair question is, what has been achieved? Are they worth it?
The
> answer to this question is crucial, because with a national
curriculum,
> the Learning Federation products may well be mandatory for we teachers
(?)

> According to my reading of their website they have received  $123
million
> over the previous seven years. And, in terms of achievements, they
write:

> > By 31 December 2007 the project:
> >
> > * published over 6300 items of digital content ..
>

> Hm, so .. that's $123 million .. divided by 6300 curriculum items.
>
> That's close to $20,000 for each single (eg, Flash) TLF curriculum
item.

> > * developed a content repository to facilitate content development
>

> Hm .. ok, a website ..
>

> > * maintained extensive consultation networks and collaborative
processes

> Hm .. how many colleagues reading this have been 'extensively'
consulted?

> > * developed national standards and specifications ..
>

> Hm .. there are already many standards eg, Dublin Core. We need
another?

> > * and systems to manage licensing and intellectual property for
content.

> Hm .. so the companies etc paid to produce items sign a release
document.

> Now, in March, the group put together a document "Sustaining supply of
> content for the digital education revolution. This paper details the
> sustainability of the Ministers' Le at rning Federation initiative beyond
> 2009 to provide content for the digital education revolution." In here
> they put forward a number of options to the government for more
funding.
> These range from $5 million a year, for not very much at all, to over
$16
> million a year for presumably much of the same.

http://www.thelearningfederation.edu.au/for_jurisdictions/feasibility_an
d_