[Yr7-10it] GIMP photoshop imitations

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Sat Dec 6 18:00:40 EST 2008

Yes Claire, much of the secret to using GIMP is to work with the right mouse
click .. I notice that GIMP is part of the most recent DEECD laptop image.
Once you know the name of the function that you are looking to use  (Crop,
Layers, Masking, Filters etc) .. you can easily look up a tutorial or the
help menu to figure out the function. I did this to teach myself how to use
a professional video editing program after prevewing a couple of YouTube
videos.

We only have Photoshop on our school image (Win, OSX and Linux) staff did
fine after we purchased some GIMP tutorial books from Amazon and organised
for a photographer to run a workshop for Art teachers. Staff and students
are happily GIMPing although oddly enough, student teachers with a
background of only using Adobe software are a problem until we hand them a
small set of training wheels made of handouts and links. They get the idea
quickly enough when they see the others clicking and creating with
confidence.

Regards Roland

http://www.westallsc.vic.edu.au