[Yr7-10it] new learning

Dr Paul Chandler paul.chandler at YVG.vic.edu.au
Wed Oct 31 13:57:55 EST 2007

In my youth, my grandmother and her sister had a 'secret code'.  When
one was visiting the other, and then returning home, to let the other
know that they had returned safely, one would make a phone call and let
it ring twice (without answering).  And then do the same again.  The
rationale was to save on telephone bills!   When it comes to using the
phone (or the mobile, or skype or whatever) there is no longer so much
of a social or economic imperative to minimise use.  If we need to call
someone, we ring them.  If I need to e-mail someone, I do so.  In 1989,
when I first used e-mail as part of a learning activity, it was rare and
exotic and a 'special treat'.

BUT when was the last time I asked students to use a telephone as part
of their learning?  Or their mobile?  Or their playstation?  Or (name
the technology).  I feel that we should be conducting education in the
full knowledge that all kinds of technologies are part of the world
which our students inhabit, but that does not mean that they need to be
part of the learning activities.  Since 1989, most of my students have
known that I "do" e-mail, use ICQ, write programs, etc, etc, but that
does not mean that we have to use those technologies in any/all of our
classes.  By anology, there are a whole bunch of really interesting
activities for teaching "computing" on http://csunplugged.com/ - but you
don't need a computer to do them!

The other side of it is to say that we should be seeking to expand our
repertoire; to ask ourselves questions like "how can we use mobile
phones as part of our teaching" (ie put on your de Bono 'green hat').
As the world of technology expands, we need to seek to expand the
repertoire, but we shouldn't think of ourselves as failing our students
if we give some thoughtful consideration, but decide not to go down a
particular path.