[Yr7-10it] new learning

Russell Edwards edwards.russell.t at edumail.vic.gov.au
Wed Oct 31 10:20:17 EST 2007

Jenna,

> With this increase in technology within our world, the traditional
> approach in teaching and learning is no longer a choice because of
> this technological approach to education.

  I tend to think that this is all over-hyped. Mostly that just means
that time and money is wasted, but when this really bothers me is when
technological developments are given as a justification for displacing
important parts of the curriculum. This is usually the catch cry of
those rebutting arguments that schools are moving towards neglecting
the basics.

  When TV was invented, we didn't insist that the "traditional
approach in teaching and learning" be abandoned and TV be integrated
into every classroom. You could say the same thing about telephones,
walkmans, etc etc. Like the current new wave of ICT, all these things
quickly became pervasive and altered our society in very major ways,
yet we didn't hear people calling for a massive paradigm shift in
education. New technology gets incorporated but should complement
tried and true content and delivery.   Having a calculator doesn't
negate the value of knowing your times-tables, and having access to
wikipedia doesn't mean you shouldn't know how our system of government
works.

cheers

Russell