[Yr7-10it] RE: Year 7-10 IT structures

Costello, Rob R Costello.Rob.R at edumail.vic.gov.au
Wed Oct 24 16:13:54 EST 2007

Haven't heard Marc Prensky - have heard Jamie MacKenzie

He does seem something of a paradox - I also recall his presentation as
relatively  techno-enthusiast  - lots of "latest" examples of
interactive websites etc.

Yet in his writings he seems determined to not be too techno-enthusiast
- almost seems a bit anti-technology, or anti-enthusiast - return to the
ancient ways, sort of humanist. (his site, FNO.org means "from now on" -
feels a bit like of "you won't take me in again" with that digital
snake-oil).

Prensky does seem a bit black and white in his writing - and the digital
native thing is perhaps a bit of a caricature

(for what its worth I quite like "neo-millennial learning styles" for a
similar idea, although at this stage they seem more intuitions and
anecdotal observations, then empirical data - they're researching that
at present

One thing that seems more rounded about neo-millennial learning styles
is the idea that a person of any age can demonstrate those styles
(filtering, sieving, multitasking etc) , if they are using ICT / media
in that intensive way.)

If this becomes a discussion on values, big picture goals etc, I don't
know quite what to think.

situating technology in values  : big issue

I heard the author of a book called "teachers who change lives" once.

And the next speaker a relatively brash promotion of ICT as essentially
transformative.

And a student who drew them both together

<http://www.thinkingcurriculum.com/thoughts/index.php/2006/08/23/the-fut
ure-is-not-what-it-used-to-be/>

Interesting

Agree with Anne Marie - its big. Don't think we're going to solve that
here

But we all have some version of it operative - I guess discussion might
be the point, in our post TS Eliot landscape.

(TS Eliot, I think, identified the metaphysical poets of the 17C, as the
last place that our "sensibility" was undivided - ie no sense of
alienation and displacement around science / technology.)

Big issue for our 7-10 ICT discussion - essential though, I guess

Cheers
Rob