[Yr7-10it] RE: Year 7-10 IT structures

Bill Kerr billkerr at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 08:13:36 EST 2007

On 10/23/07, Alida Bonotto <abono at mira.net> wrote:

>  I've heard Prensky and MacKenzie speaking live and I found Prensky more
> convincing. Prensky is a little too black and white with his
> native/immigrants theory - but I see examples of his theory in action every
> day at school.....

I lean the same way as Alida on this one

MacKenzie is better researched than Prensky but in the presentation I heard
from him he was appealing to the lowest common denominator - what computer
software that is useful could all teachers "get"?

Answer: Inspiration

Useful but not very inspiring

MacKenzies quoting of TS Elliot in describing the lost digital generation
is clever but over the top, exaggerated. He then cites Sherry Turkle in
support. I interpreted Turkles book in the opposite way - she really was
talking about computers and their effect on the human spirit not warning us
how dangerous it all was.

Who needs TS Elliot - slash your wrists - but better leave that one for the
English teachers :-)

--
Bill Kerr
http://billkerr2.blogspot.com/