[Yr7-10it] RE: Year 7-10 IT structures

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 19:13:59 EST 2007

I am really excited to read all these posts and all the right questions that
we seem to be asking each other.

I agree with Bill. The OLPC is a fascinating invention. Like the student
that freely dips into the wireless access spilling over the school fence
from his neighboring home, the mesh technology has even enough range to
bridge between the different islands in the Solomons. Whilst the original
vision for the telephone was that it could be used to pipe music directly to
homes, we would be equally narrow minded to think that the Internet was for
edumail and piping music to pockets filled with iPhones.

I have some Sudanese lads who are struggling with renaming files yet can
happily play computer games and chat online. Is it appropriate to measuring
their learning from their understanding of a computer desktop, a metaphor
based upon the workings of a small business office? The different ethnic
groups at our school have vastly different traditions and ideas of what it
means to 'be working together'. I am now not sure if the collaborative,
learning model that I carry about in my head is best and only way forward.

I have had some indirect contact with of the huge technology issues faced by
countries on our doorstep. From young computer technicians trained in
Melbourne to set up Ubuntu Linux networks for East Timor, the KhmerOS group
that has managed to retain a Cambodian keyboard and recover their language
using Open Office and the network manager on Naru who is experimenting
recycling old hardware using Kbuntu.

I would like us to engage with what it really means to transform ICT
education, beyond rubbing the latest shiny new toy or unboxing the latest
bit of commercial software. I like asking the big questions in my IT
classrooms so here is one. What can we do to really help our students make
this world a better place for us all to live in?

Regards Roland

http://www.westallsc.vic.edu.au