[Yr7-10it] Year 7-10 IT structures

Dr Paul Chandler paul.chandler at YVG.vic.edu.au
Mon Oct 22 12:21:18 EST 2007

I agree with Bill in just about all his comments.

The poorly defined subject area is a clearly an issue which we need to
embrace, and an extention of is to observe that this tends to cloud the
issue of integration.  For instance, if we had 2 hypothetical teachers,
one saying "we can integrate all our Year 7 ICT" and the other saying
that they could dream of it being sucessful - it is quite possible that
they are talking about 2 different sets of knowledge/skills which
students should master at that year level.

I also agree with Bill that the English analogy doesn't have much
milage.  Though it does get rolled out from time to time by those who
are proponents of immersion alone.  Though, by analogy, we might observe
that English/language teaching has developed a raft of quite
fine-grained techniques for teaching the various dimensions of language.
There is perhaps not (yet) the same breadth of pedagogical strategy in
ICT, and we could well do with investing some more brain power into
developing an increasingly rich resource for teaching ICT.

The issue of "teacher knowledge" (which can be represented in a range of
ways) as it impacts on pedagogy (ie broadening Bill's mention of
"subject matter knowledge") is a facinating one, and not an area which
teachers (or leaders of professional development) are often well versed
in; but it's not an area which lends itself to being "unpacked" on the
list.  Maybe at a seminar sometime ....