[Yr7-10it] RE: Year 7-10 IT structures

Costello, Rob R Costello.Rob.R at edumail.vic.gov.au
Mon Oct 15 23:12:12 EST 2007

In many cases full blown integration is a very good option - ICT always
needs some context.
(For some, it can be a more a technical context, for most, a content
based one is better)

Stand alone approaches can be artificial and can lack authentic context.

The Romeo and Juliet and web pages approach sounds like a good example
of integration

But I think there is also a place for this form of ICT, higher end game
design etc :
http://www.edutopia.org/no-gamer-left-behind

re leadership, I love what the principal there says: "we want our kids
to not just be consumers of digital simulations, but producers "

And I like the girl at the end talking about the energy in the school

That's a disadvantaged school - and yes, great leadership by the sounds
of it

I spent today some time today talking with Swinburne about a new,
Australian developed, generation of a River City like environment - met
someone there when I took a programming class to ACMI

Blows me away what their third students are doing - and we're looking to
take that back to schools. There are already students in my 7-10 school
playing with game modding in their own time. We can tap and extend that.
Shouldn't be outside the scope of what we tackle.

 I knew a student once who would have been much more interested in the
tech side of web pages, than the romeo and juliet aspect. Maybe he's
missing the point of the human condition - he was pretty tech and geek.
But he's now a web master at The Age - an outcome we'd all probably
respect.

Have to be be careful we cater for those intense types, even while
allowing most to productively tinker with it in a more integrated way.

So seems to me all versions of ICT, various degrees of tech and
integration, need to be on the table

PS - re the conspiracy theory, VELS is surely a vic thing, under a
labour gov

Cheers

Rob