[Yr7-10it] Year 7-10 IT structures

Christophersen, Paula P christophersen.paula.p at edumail.vic.gov.au
Mon Oct 15 09:35:09 EST 2007

Dear colleagues

There is nothing in the VELS that tells schools how ICT should be
delivered. VELS is a framework, and schools have the flexibility to
determine their own delivery structures. It may vary from year level to
year level or a consistent approach may be taken. Schools have the right
to offer stand alone ICT, which allows students to acquire ICT knowledge
and skills from ICT teachers. What is then important is how the these
knowledge and skills are applied in other areas of learning. It is true
that the intent of the ICT domain within VELS is for students to use
these knowledge and skills to support their learning in all areas, but
schools must ask the question 'how are the students going to acquire the
skills associated with each standard?'

There is further information on delivery options for ICT on the VELS
website (frequently asked questions). I have also written an article for
the next issue of VITTA's InfoNet, which outlines some key questions
that schools can consider when determing how students will acquire ICT
knowledge and skills, how and where they will apply these and who will
be responsible for the assessment of them.

LINK

http://vels.vcaa.vic.edu.au/about/faq.html#21

Regards

Paula