[Yr7-10it] Re buzz words from 22/11....

Phil Callil P.Callil at xavier.vic.edu.au
Thu Nov 29 22:38:54 EST 2007

"our collective intelligence" - "bumfluff" when referring to research and analysis based on experience around the country and internationally doesn't really cut it, Russell.  That's my point.  No one will be shouting you down if you contribute positively.  No one will shout you down if you voiced this sort of comment on ANY committee.  Quite the opposite...

Buzzwords, slogans, they are there to provoke thought. In a couple of words, they try to encapsulate a feeling of the time.  ICT is still not accepted by many teachers as a legitimate way to demonstrate knowledge thro core subjects.  This is at a time when technology is on the edge of even accelerating further change.

It's all about raising the bar in so many ways.....

On 29/11/2007, at 8:57 PM, Meadows, Roslyn M wrote:
> The 'buzzphrase' for the conference - "you say you want a
> revolution" -
> was chosen LONG before any election dates or election promises were
> thought of - and the phrase was NOT meant to be political in any
> way. To
> give you some idea of the time frame for these things - discussion on
> NEXT YEAR'S "buzzphrase" began last Tuesday night - and I am sure your
> contributions would be welcome and considered.

Well my contribution would simply be: *don't have* a "buzzphrase"!

The conference should be about content, not about window-dressing. If
that content can stand on its own -- and I think it can, overall --
then you don't need all the fluff.   It's a bit of an insult to our
collective intelligence that we need glitz, buzz and spin to hook us
in. We're not politicians reading a grant proposal, after all...

cheers

Russell

DISCLAIMER: This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential
the System Manager at Xavier College. Please note that any views or
opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do
not necessarily represent those of Xavier College.
Whilst every attempt has been made to ensure material in this email message
is free from computer viruses or other defects, the attached files are
provided, and may only be used, on the basis that the user assumes all
responsibility for the use of the material transmitted.