[Yr7-10it] A history of recycling

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 22:17:01 EST 2007

 <http://www.flickr.com/photos/plakboek/1886242223/>
 School computer museum <http://www.flickr.com/photos/plakboek/1886242223/> by
Craig Blair
Reposted here by permission.
 <http://www.flickr.com/people/plakboek/>
Apologies for any duplicate posts you might get.

I have been reading reports that DELL
computers<http://www.theage.com.au/news/breaking-news/dell-says-computer-company-will-become-carbon-neutral-next-year/2007/09/27/1190486442643.html>,
Hewlett Packard<http://www.theage.com.au/news/technology/dell-to-go-carbonneutral-by-2008/2007/09/27/1190486451827.html>,
and Google
<http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2007/06/carbon-neutrality-by-end-of-2007.html>will
all aim to become greenhouse neutral by the end of this year. I reckon that
this would be a fantastic 2008 target for all teaching subject associations
(and then for schools). After conducting an audit of their impact on their
environment, they could make some initial gains by purchasing carbon credit
offsets. Later they can explore ways of reducing their impact on the
environment by reducing, reusing or recycling.

Speaking of recycling, this splendid photograph of a school computer museum
was shared with me by Craig Blair (North Lake Senior Campus, QLD Australia).

His school collection of computer hardware spans over two decades and much
of it is still in use or made usable with new, free operating systems. This
is more than just an effort to catalog and classify junk, it is a great
historical sounding board for his students. It raises some good questions
about the pandemic of *afluenza *sweeping our word, the power of computer
recycling and the value of digital archives. No hardware left behind. Bravo
Craig. :-)

He indicates that his collection has the following items:

   - *Apple Blueberry G3 *- student find. Replaced HD and works well -
   for in class use
   - *MacPlus *- I found - works a treat... just reinstalling the OS at
   the moment - for in class use
   - *Apple G3 *- Staff find. not a lot except the 1.5 GB of RAM -
   haven't got much further with this yet.
   - *Pentium III 900 MHz - s*tudent find. put in 20 Gig harddrive,
   installed Ubuntu and gave to senior for surfing the net... very happy
   customer
   - *Pentium IV 1.2GHz *- I found. dual monitor card. 2 hardrives, 2
   monitors (17 inch). Works just fine... sitting at my house as my only
   Desktop PC in the house... (very rarely used...)
   - *Pentium P166 *- student find - cd burner, windows 98. very quick
   machine... given to a student from lower socio-economic area who now uses it
   for recording music.... etc... very very happy customer
   - *Pentium III *- I found - 800 MHz - came with DVD player, CD burner.
   Reinstalled Ubuntu and use this machine for burning Ubuntu onto students
   external harddrives
   - *Commodore 64 - *donated by a prac student
   - *XT *- something I have had for awhile
   - *Microbee - *something I have had for awhile

http://www.westallsc.vic.edu.au