[Yr7-10it] programming curriculum

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Thu May 24 17:29:12 EST 2007

Thanks all .. Scratch also has me curious .. almost GameMaker with training
wheels that can even off a USB key. I might give it a tryout with my
students. :-)

Over the January break, one of my students attended a summer school at NSW
University. She was really motivated by the use of Python and her team built
from scratch, an Internet search engine. Python has a good future in our
classrooms (esp vpython <http://vpython.org>).

   - A Python programming competition
<http://www.pythonchallenge.com/>on the Internet.
   - A physics-based puzzle
game<http://www.partiallydisassembled.net/nelly/>written in Python for
PyWeek 2. Features over 15 levels, a "free-play" mode
   and an integrated level editor.
   - A game programming exercise and
challenge<http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article2259.asp>,
   this chap created a role playing game from scratch in 40 hours using python
   and a suite of free software.
   - A research paper that compares eleven programming
languages<http://www.it.uu.se/research/group/upcerg/Publications/proceedingsKoliCalling2006/research2.pdf>which
are currently used in introductory courses. The comparison suggests
   that Python is one of the most suitable languages to be considered for use
   in the classroom.

We live in interesting times :-)

Regards Roland

http://www.westallsc.vic.edu.au