[Yr7-10it] Re: Open slather internet

Cameron Bell bell.cameron.p at edumail.vic.gov.au
Wed May 9 11:35:10 EST 2007

We took advantage of the Brightsparks unlimited access offer and get
unlimited downloads for $500 /mth.
We no longer have to worry about quotas, but we are looking at shaping
tools (GetBusi, Packateer) for traffic management.
Charging students and having them turn up to class without net access
was severely limiting the enthusiasm of teachers and students for using
the internet. It was a priority for us to remove this and had budgeted
for unlimited access on the old plan, but the Brightsparks offer has
saved us heaps, both in access fees and administration of credit.
It is not perfect, their help desk is non-existent and admin tools are
very very basic, but we find these minor issues when compared to being
able walk into a class  and know that students will have access if
required.
When we told staff of the new unlimited access, well, you should have
heard the cheer.  :)

Cheers
Cameron

James GIBNEY wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> sorry if you get this a couple of times.
>
> At the moment we have an open slather internet policy and some kids
> are downloading excessive amounts. We are currently considering
> limiting monthly downloads to 40 MB. Is this too much? What are the
> limits at your school? Do you charge students who exceed their limits?
>
> Thanks again for help
>
> Regards
>
> Jim

Important - This email and any attachments may be confidential. If received in error, please contact us and delete all copies. Before opening or using attachments check them for viruses and defects. Regardless of any loss, damage or consequence, whether caused by the negligence of the sender or not, resulting directly or indirectly from the use of any attached files our liability is limited to resupplying any affected attachments. Any representations or opinions expressed are those of the individual sender, and not necessarily those of the Department of Education.