[Yr7-10it] IT - maths

Pamela Wright P.Wright at latrobe.edu.au
Wed Jun 6 12:08:50 EST 2007

Hi Phil,
Hans van der Meij from the Netherlands has been developing some Maths
simulations that may be useful and can be accessed free of charge
http://www.simquest.nl/

This is his project:

For the last three years we have been developing simulations and testing
their impact on math learning in secondary education. The research is
part of a longer tradition in our department on developing simulations
and assessing their effects on students. Besides attention to the design
and effect of the simulations, our math research also considers key
implementation factors such as the fit with math content (e.g., the
simulations replace some assignments in the textbook so that overall
time for student work remains more or less the same), and various
aspects of school context.

Unfortunately, the specific applications developed for math are in
Dutch. A PhD student is currently in the process of describing the main
design characteristics (and effects) of the math simulations in a
forthcoming dissertation and (English) paper. We do, however, have
English applications for science, in addition to several research papers
describing our work in this area. If you are interested we can send you
some of the most pertinent ones.

He can be contacted at this address:
Hans van der Meij
Twente University