[Yr7-10it] Prep to 6 IT

Kevork Krozian Kroset at novell1.fhc.vic.edu.au
Tue Jan 30 11:40:25 EST 2007

Hi Fiona,

 Yes, we do have a primaryit list with 33 members at present so it would be great to see that grow ....

Best Wishes

Kevork Krozian
IT Manager , Forest Hill College
k.krozian at fhc.vic.edu.au
http://www.fhc.vic.edu.au
Mobile: 0419 356 034

>>> fiona at balmoralhs.vic.edu.au 01/25/07 09:30am >>>
this additional comment will probably best be answered by Kevork but am I right in thinking there is a primary edulist.  I know it was around on the old lists as I was asked to join a few years ago when I was back in the primary sector.

My recommendation would be to go visit some other primary schools and spend a fair bit of time on the basics, word processing, spreadsheets - these are the things that really help the class teacher.  Remember to take into consideration the skills of their class room teacher. If they feel confident teaching word, etc during class then they may want you to do the extra good stuff.

See if your school has kahootz.  We were all sent the software and there are many activities either with the support material or with the site. Kahootz may be a bit boring for some of our senior collegues but the little ones love it.

Another option - if your school considers it feasible - is to use IT with its buddy system - if they have one.  We did this for a year, grade 4/5 composite with grade 1's worked brilliantly.  I taught the 4/5's before hand what we were going to do with the little ones - they got their partners all organised and the kids ran with it.  Made sure that the more able students had extension work to go on with. If I can find the course outline I will post it.

Fiona Bain
Balmoral High School

"Tony Forster" <forster at ozonline.com.au> on Wed, 24 Jan 2007 22:57:38 +1100 wrote:
> > In the job I'm starting next week I will be teaching IT a few times a
> > week to the little ones (P-6); obviously I'll be working with their
> > normal teacher, but does anyone have any pointers or ideas of
> > interesting things to do with them?
>
> Make computer games, see
> http://schoolgamemaker.rupert.id.au/computerclub/index.html for samples,
> year 3 to 7
>
> Tasmanian Teacher Margaret Meijers won The National Awards for Quality
> Schooling Best National Achievement by a Teacher and the Content category at
> the Microsoft Worldwide Innovative Teacher Awards for her Games in Learning
> programs http://www.mindtools.tased.edu.au/gamemaker/default.htm

---
fiona at balmoralhs.vic.edu.au
http://www.balmoralhs.vic.edu.au/