[Yr7-10it] re : Merry something or other :)

Costello, Rob R Costello.Rob.R at edumail.vic.gov.au
Thu Dec 20 15:46:14 EST 2007

Vik that's not bad as a parody providing one is equally ruthless the
other way

Eg  atheism - the belief that matter has somehow exploded into being
from an inscrutable singularity which somehow generated space time - a
"Big Bang" which has no cause, since the question of cause and effect
breaks down at the singularity

(though its also held that the whole thing may cycle periodically, or
even bubble up in alternate multi-verses)

Anyway, this intrinsically purposeless event has led to matter being
spread around in a manner has ultimately, under the right conditions,
somehow organised into structures capable of replication and life..

.. which by some other extended random process is amenable to developing
into systems capable of reflective thought - a sort of blind leggo which
manages to build a self aware CPU out of biological hardware  -

And so any idea of plausibility of purpose or values (such as
incredulity at religion or merit in ICT education) are ultimately
illusory and certainly purposeless - disputing inside a pointless and
random bubble of meaning? floating randomly in a meaningless universe

the apparent incoherence of the Christian story is nicely mirrored by
the atheistic one, except the former seems to have a more purposeful
base for critiquing the other, since it does predicate living
personality and not random matter/energy as the ultimate basis

Merry Christmas
Cheers
Rob

(this is why Stephen's  play it safe parody arises I guess)