[Yr7-10it] remote desktop, another alternative

Kent Beveridge kbeveridge at stbc.vic.edu.au
Thu Dec 6 17:06:22 EST 2007

I use a product called Networx Manager, works great on the LAN, is PC based(and mac too I think) and can do all the stuff that the Mac one does!  I love it, the kids get annoyed by it with messages or screens locked etc. can lock internet off too, remotely can overide a students machine and 'steal' their mouse..(they initially think their mouse is having a psycho!). Its a handy tool, and can be a bit of fun too, if not abused, and you 'pick your mark' carefully. Its not breaching privacy, its monitoring appropriate school equipment usage and 'encouraging' them where necessary!  I particularly enjoy taking over their 'doom' or similar game and using up all their ammo...it drives em nuts till they work out I am in control...then we both usually just smile and have a laugh about it.
Oh, you are presented with a constantly refreshing list of all programs currently active, but beware, you will need to set a policy on the server to disable the student 'ctrl alt del' key combo to prevent access to task manager, as they can kill the 'manager' task and then you wont see them on the logical list of machines(which go by username). Hope this helps. I get around this by freezing all machines and simply get up and walk around the room, if they are still active, they have disabled my manager, and are made aware of the 'problem' . They must then reset the machine and log on again to continue!
KB.
While typing this, Victor's email about the BackOriface program popped up..my program is not a virus but sorry, dont know the price.
Can give more details if needed though.

Kent Beveridge,
I.T. co-ordinator
St. Brigids Catholic Sec. College
Horsham
email.. kbeveridge at stbc.vic.edu.au

|<3|\|7  b3\/3r1D93 ?  ;-)

Wishes and Eggs, one you make and one you break!  A bit like promises.....
"This email and any attachments may be confidential.  You must not disclose or use the information in this email if you are not the intended recipient.  If you have received this email in error, please notify us immediately and delete the email and all copies.  The School does not guarantee that this email is virus or error free.  The attached files are provided and my only be used on the basis that the user assumes all responsibility for any loss, damage or consequence resulting directly or indirectly from the use of the attached files, whether caused by the negligence of the sender or not.  The content and opinions in this email are not necessarily those of the School."