[Yr7-10it] Podcasting

Paul Stewart pstewart.ceo at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 12:00:06 EST 2007

Michelle,

I have experimented with a range of mp3 recorders and consistently found the
iRiver T series to deliver good quality recordings for voice.  The inbuilt
microphones on the cheaper mp3 players can be quite poor and aren't worth
the time.

If you are thinking of buying an external microphone, I can recommend the
Rode Podcaster USB microphone.  It's big and heavy but produces excellent
quality recording without the need to install software.  Just record
straight to Audacity (or equivalent).  It sells for $220 or thereabouts.

Lastly, I must add that if you haven't used Levelator to improve the quality
of your sound, it's a beautiful thing to discover.  Just go to
http://www.gigavox.com/levelator and download the app.  It sits on the
desktop.  All you do is drag your recording (in the form of a .wav) onto the
Levelator.  It will automagically improve the quality of the vocals, often
dramatically so.  For poorly recorded interviews and such, it can't be
beaten - and it's free.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Paul Stewart
eLearning Officer