[Yr7-10it] digital portfolio resources

Dr Paul Chandler paul.chandler at YVG.vic.edu.au
Tue Oct 31 14:16:27 EST 2006

I'd bumped into elgg a little while ago, and basically I'm in favour of
"something like it" (even though I'd agree it's unstructured) because in
addition to using to 'collected digital artefacts' and blog about them:
- the inherent community structure of elgg
- within elgg, students can set up and manage RSS feeds
- it makes podcasting students' work dead easy
- elgg (apparently) integrates with moodle

There is a BIG e-portfolio community on elgg.net (admittedly mainly UK
based), with educators from primary to tertiary actively discussing
teaching/learning and e-portfolios.

No doubt one could use PowerPoint, Photostory (or even visual basic!)
but something akin to a decent blogging engine (cf wordpress) seems to
have advantages.  Indeed, if wordpress bolted onto moodle the way elgg
does, I'd probably go for that because elgg is, after all, technically
still in pre-release.

I don't know enough about drupal, but I don't know how you'd do
e-portfolios in moodle (unless I'm missing something); certainly the
built-in blogging in moodle is not set up to be easily twisted to this
application (as far as I know).

Does anyone have first-hand knowledge of drupal?