[Yr7-10it] VELS and IT

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Mon Jun 12 13:59:36 EST 2006

Last year, futurist Dr Damian Conway gave a good talk at a Monash Alumni
breakfast about some of these technological changes and the convergence that
is happening. The MP3 download of the one hour
presentation<http://audio.monash.edu.au/alumni/conway.mp3>is 28 Mb but
worth listening to with a good
summary by Bill
here<http://billkerr.blogspot.com/2005/07/four-funerals-and-wedding.html>
.

It is sad that many schools ignore these 'disruptive technologies', the
benefits of Open Source software, the challenges of the Web2 or a
"read-write" Internet, rejecting good ideas behind a small suite of
shink-wrap software and corporate licences.  Whilst they are playing safe by
firewalling themselves from the world outside the school, they could become
irrelevant, sugar-coated centers of learning that are stuck in the
technological dark ages.

It is hard to engage students and be an agent of change with your head
firmly cemented in the sandpit.

Regards Roland

http://www.westallsc.vic.edu.au